Expected outputs and outcomes
- 2ACCA will contribute to catalysing increased action on the uptake and scaling-up of the CA-based climate-smart agriculture systems and practices, in general, and CA systems in particular across Africa. In this way, the outputs of the 2ACCA are expected to be more than just proceedings, but knowledge and information, policy and institutional advice and guidance, and participatory farmer and community engagement to meet defined goals.
- The congress outcomes include more knowledgeable and informed stakeholder constituencies and institutions to meet Agenda 2063, SDGs, and COP 21 and 22 agreements. Specifically, the Congress will, for many, bring out new knowledge and information on CA systems and practices - Information/data/experiences and lessons - highlighting issues and circumstances that enhance or hinder effective CA dissemination and uptake in different agro-ecological zones across Africa.
- The Congress will put a spotlight on empirical and scientific CA results and impact in the efforts on agricultural transformation and its consequent impact on livelihoods and the environment. CA has demonstrated success in stabilising and/or enhancing agricultural productivity and profit; it has enhanced ecosystem services even in extreme weather conditions and through its ability to sequestrate carbon and reduce GHG emissions and mitigating climate change. The outcomes of the Congress are focussed on how to bring the adoption and spread of CA to scale with a critical mass of agricultural land under CA systems to at least 25 million households to practice CA by 2025.
- For many Congress participants, the networking – formal and informal – will help consolidate or open up new partnerships and alliances including exposing opportunities for possible joint action and collaboration. The Congress will enlighten, invigorate, motivate participants to explore new ways of configuring and disseminating CA information to create new partnerships and discover new models of collaboration to illicit and promote transformational change. It will also bring together information that would help in future formal and informal contacts and liaison/partnership in promoting the adoption and spread of Conservation Agriculture and all the service sectors for the development of sustainable food and agriculture systems.
- In terms of general public awareness and advocacy, the Congress will bring CA information to the public including those who may not be directly connected to CA and climate-smart agriculture, but their interest and actions in their own fields is important to advancing CA uptake and spread.